Wilkes Habitat for Humanity is seeking new partner families / individuals to join our program to build and purchase an affordable Habitat home. We are currently seeking applicants in both Wilkes & Alleghany* Counties in North Carolina.
Wilkes Habitat for Humanity builds and sells home to qualifying partner families at a price that is affordable. We do this by building simple and decent homes using volunteer labor, and by financing the sale of our homes with a fixed rate zero-interest mortgage.
Our homebuyers must contribute ‘sweat equity’ hours to the construction of their homes, and manage the maintenance of their own homes using their own income. Wilkes Habitat for Humanity collects escrow funds for property taxes and homeowners insurance along with the mortgage payment, which must be made on time each month.
Wilkes Habitat’s Program Requirements Include:
1. Having a need for adequate housing (one or more of the following):
- Do not currently own a home
- Current housing needs critical repairs
- Current housing is overcrowded
- Rent and utilities cost too much
2. Having the ability to pay for a Habitat home:
- Have no court judgments
- Have not declared bankruptcy in the last 3 years
- Have a good history of making payments on time
- Household has had a steady monthly income for the last 2 years
- Household’s monthly income falls within Habitat’s guidelines (please see the income guidelines on the application)
3. Having a willingness to partner with Habitat:
- Agree to attend all required homebuyer education classes
- Agree to pay all closing costs + the first year’s insurance at the time of purchase
- Each applicant agrees to complete 250 hours of “sweat equity”
- Have lived and/or worked in Wilkes County, NC for at least 1 year
After completing Part 1 of the application, applicants who meet our basic program criteria will be invited to attend a brief program orientation meeting, where they will begin the second part of the application process.
[The application period in Alleghany County closed on 5/26/2017 – stay tuned for more info].
Thanks again for your interest in Wilkes Habitat for Humanity’s home ownership program! We look forward to hearing from you soon.
*This year’s Alleghany County build is part of the State Employee’s Credit Union’s Mountains-to-Sea Habitat Challenge.