We are accepting new applications to purchase a Habitat home from April 15, 2018 through June 30, 2018!
Thank you for your interest in Wilkes Habitat for Humanity’s home ownership program.
Habitat for Humanity builds and sells home to qualifying partner families at a price that is affordable. We do this by building simple and decent homes using volunteer labor, and by financing the sale of our homes with a fixed rate zero-interest mortgage.
Our homebuyers must contribute ‘sweat equity’ hours to the construction of their homes, and manage the maintenance of their own homes using their own income. Wilkes Habitat for Humanity collects escrow funds for property taxes and homeowners insurance along with the mortgage payment, which must be made on time each month.
Wilkes Habitat’s Homebuyer Requirements Include:
1. Having a need for adequate housing (one or more of the following):
- Do not currently own a home
- Current housing needs critical repairs
- Current housing is overcrowded
- Rent and utilities cost too much
2. Having the ability to pay for a Habitat home:
- Have no court judgments
- Have not declared bankruptcy in the last 3 years
- Have a good history of making payments on time
- Household has had a steady monthly income for the last 2 years
- Household’s monthly income falls within Habitat’s guidelines (please see income guidelines on application)
3. Having a willingness to partner with Habitat:
- Agree to attend all required homebuyer education classes
- Agree to pay all closing costs + the first year’s insurance
- Each adult in the household agrees to complete 250 hours of “sweat equity”
- Have lived and/or worked in Wilkes County, NC for at least 1 year
Applicants who meet our basic program criteria will be invited to attend a program orientation meeting, where they will begin the second part of the application process.
Thanks again for your interest in Wilkes Habitat for Humanity’s home ownership program!